Kalahari Bushmen Expedition (Namibia)
Hunter-gatherers still live throughout the whole world. One of the most well-known groups is the Kalahari Bushmen and we’re delighted to be able to offer the chance toexperience their culture. Our Bushmen guides have been born and raised as traditional hunter-gatherers! Their knowledge for surviving the desert is incredible and their tracking skills are unprecedented.
Namibia is a vast country with enormous variation and so it’s not hard to put together a trip with plenty to see:
After arriving in Windhoek we travel to the ErongoMountain region, a million year old region with a volcanic landscape with enormous rounded boulders piled one on the other. In the middle of this area we’ll make our base camp. After accustoming to the heat we’ll go in search of thousand year old rock paintings once made by the Bushmen.
Africa and big beasts come hand in hand so, of course, there’ll be a visit to a wildlife park – the KaudomNational Park in the northeast of Namibia – and the opportunity to observe all sorts of antelope, elephants, buffalo and big cats. This will be a truly unique chance to observe these animals in their natural habitat!
Obviously we spend most of our time in the village of the Bushmen. From close by, you’ll experience their customsand make your own tools (bow and arrow, rope or knife) or jewellery. In thousand year old tradition we’ll head into the Kalahari wilderness on anovernight hunting excursion. The hunters will literally take you with them, teaching you tracking skills which will ultimately end in a hunt for antelopeor hare.
Our philosophy in joining the Bushmen is to support and boost their abilityto earn an income from their own culture. This has reciprocal benefits. If nothing is done to help, their knowledge will be lost forever and where will they be then? In this way we help contribute to a sustainable environment.
We work together with Werner Pfeiffer from Bush Culture Experience. He is a German-Namibian with a limitlessknowledge of Namibia and the Kalahari Bushmen.
Meeting and learning from these skilled crafts- men and women will be an unforgettable and unique experience, and a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity toimmerse yourself in this unique hunting and gathering culture.
Some of the Bushmen speak Afrikaans which will be an advantage for the Dutch speakers among us!
Naturally, we’ll be joining the activities of the Bushmen: tracking, hunting, collecting plants, making tools (bow and arrow, etc.). 100% Bushcraft!We’ll move through several different regions in this vast land, from dry to outright desert!
Included in this trip:
- Visit to the Erongo Mountain region (old volcanic landscape) characterised by large, round, stacked boulders
- Visit to the Kaudom National Park where we’ll see an assortmentof wild animals (antelope, elephants, big cats etc.)
- Stay with the Bushmen in //Xa/oba, the Living Hunters Museum in the northeast of Namibia. The people living in this area are the only ones of their cultural group officially allowed to hunt in the traditional manner
- Learn how to make jewellery and utensils such as bow and arrow, spear, knife, or digging stick
- Get acquainted with the Bushmen
- Experience a traditional overnight hunting trip in the wilderness with a small group of Bushmen
- You’ll go with one of the hunter’s to find, read and follow and, hopefully, hunt prey (with poison arrows, spears or a snare for spring hare)
- Visit to the Waterberg Plateau (rhinoceros, baboon, cape vulture, jackal, porcupine etc.)
Click here for a detailed brochure about this trip.
Dates: Januari 15th - Januari 28th 2018
Duration: 14 days (excluding flights)
Number of participants: Minimum 6 – maximum 8
Location: Namibia – Kalahari
Including all transfers, food and accommodation in Namibia. Excluding international flights and snacks while in Namibia.
"Please be aware that the price of the course provided on our website is indicative only. Due to the constantly changing exchange rates (NAD-EUR), prices will vary accordingly."